The Kilgen-Reuter Organ
A Time Line of Westminster Presbyterian Church
and First Baptist Church History and Organ Facts
1951 First Baptist Church (FBC) signed a contract with Kilgen Organ Company to build an organ for the new sanctuary on West Pine Street. It was installed in 1952 at a cost of $25,440. The organ was a gift of the T. E. Ross family in memory of their mother. The contract was signed by E. B. Conn, Treasurer, J. K. Travis, Chairman of the Board of Deacons, and Dr. E. W. Green, Chairman of the Building Committee.
1954 Westminster Presbyterian Church (WPC) was chartered and began meeting at Woodley School.
1963 WPC sanctuary was built. The architect originally designed space for a pipe organ.
1974 WPC installed a Zimmer Organ as a gift from Yetta Alexander in memory of her husband.
1986 The Reuter Organ Company renovated and expanded the Kilgen organ at First Baptist church. The basic composition of stops was conceived by professional musicians and church members, Dr. Donald Winters and Helen McWhorter, organist.
1987 FBC hosted a Service of Dedication of the Reuter Organ in July.
2006 FBC began construction of a new building in west Hattiesburg
9/2008 Organ Task Force appointed by WPC Session; David Finch consulted with the committee.
7/2009 WPC Session appointed an organ committee to coordinate the project.
8/2009 FBC and WPC executed a final contract for sale of the Kilgen-Reuter organ. WPC Congregation approved borrowing money for the project. WPC began worshipping in the Fellowship Hall to make space for the organ project.
9/2009 WPC began a capital campaign to pay for organ installation and sanctuary renovations.
12/2009 WPC members began worshipping in the renovated sanctuary using the Yamaha grand piano.
1/2010 Organ builder, David Finch, added a Peterson ICS 4000 digital system that upgrades the console to allow recording, playback and transposition.
3/2010 WPC began using the organ in worship services.
4/2010 WPC Organ Re-dedication Concert.
The Kilgen-Reuter Organ
Original organ built by Kilgen Organ Company (1952)
Rebuilt and expanded by Reuter Organ Company, Opus 2084 (1987)
Relocated, tonal finishing and console upgrade by Finch Organs (2009)
The specifications or Stoplist is as follows:
4 manuals, 51 ranks, 5 divisions
Positiv to Positiv 16
Positiv Unison Off
Positiv to Positiv 4
Swell to Positiv 16
Swell to Positiv 8
Swell to Positiv 4
Ancillary to Positiv 16
Ancillary to Positiv 8
Ancillary to Positiv 4
Ancillary to Ancillary 16
Ancillary to Unison Off
Ancillary to Ancillary 4
Swell to Swell 16
Swell Unison Off
Swell to Swell 4
Ancillary to Swell 16
Ancillary to Swell 8
Ancillary to Swell 4
Great to Pedal 8
Great to Pedal 4
Swell to Pedal 8
Swell to Pedal 4
Positiv to Pedal 8
Positiv to Pedal 4
Ancillary to Pedal 8
Ancillary to Pedal 4
|Peterson ICS 4000 system
(digital console upgrade):
Control display unit
100 memory levels with
Organist Folders organization
Programmable crescendo -
USB data port
Back to the WPC Home Page